With the end of the warm season, many owners cease to operate their motorhomes and caravans until the next season. But some continue to operate even in the cold season. In this article we will discuss how to properly do the winter training for winter "hibernation" or operation.
Winter storage. General tips
For all subsequent storage options at a negative temperature, it is necessary to carry out a general series of actions:
- Drain water from all drives. This is a cumulative tank for clean and gray water, a boiler, a tank for clean and dirty water in the toilet. In the toilet in the top barrels pour glycol. Blow through the entire plumbing system;
- Coat all door seals, service hatches, roof hatches and windows with silicone. Otherwise, the material in the cold can crack and crack;
- The mattresses and sofas in your motorhome consist of foam rubber, in which there is moisture. Carrying these things to a warm place for the winter will prolong their life;
- Motorhome systems drain the battery. The solar panel will not be effective in the absence of direct sun in winter, as well as the inevitable roof covering with snow. Therefore, it is advisable to store the battery in a warm room, recharging it every few months. Remember that the voltage drop on the battery below 11V is critical.
- Heated motorhomes while parked. Maintaining a positive temperature inside, you reduce the amount of moisture and the likelihood of mold, but also reduce the life of the insulating materials of the walls. Modern manufacturers of motorhomes give 5 year warranty on the insulating material. A strong temperature difference on different sides leads to an accelerated loss of its insulating properties. Ideally, the temperature should be the same on both sides of the walls, and the room should be well ventilated. To measure the humidity inside the motorhome is quite simple with the help of a glass of sugar. Put it on the day inside the motorhome. If the sugar has become dense and stuck together - it means that moisture in your autohouse is more than necessary.
- Sometimes you can see condensed moisture between the inner and outer window. If there is a lot of it, it can lead to the destruction of the window when the liquid freezes. There is a plastic flap on top of each window on either side. It must be removed. You can warm the window itself or wait for the direct sun. Moisture evaporates and escapes through the openings.
Winter storage in the garage
This option is certainly preferable. Ideally, always maintain a positive temperature inside the room. Then there is no need for winter training as such.
Winter storage outside
- We forget about hatches and windows until spring. They are frozen and without loss you will not open them;
- From above, it is desirable to cover the roof with dense cellophane. This will allow in the off-season not to get moisture on the joints of the hatches with the roof during warming and subsequent devastating freezing at night;
- If it is not possible to cover with cellophane, it is necessary to put the motorhome on a downhill, using for example Fiamma Level Up blocks. This will allow excess water to drain from the roof and not stagnate at the joints. If the inclination angle is large, it is better to start the engine after the exit, taking a horizontal position;
- For motorhomes, the snow from the roof can not be cleaned. The strength of the roof is sufficient. For large caravans (not of Scandinavian origin) it is necessary to clean the roof with a large amount of precipitation.
- If you start heating the auto-house when the internal temperature is 15 ° C or less, it is better to pre-heat the gas heater (for example, Truma) with an electric heater, and then start it;
- You do not need to try to turn the switches of water taps, and any other plastic levers and valves, when the autohouse does not heat up to at least 15 ° C. These parts are made of plastic and become very fragile in the cold, it is very easy to break them;
- Of course, nobody canceled winter tires;
- You must make sure that the tanks for clean and gray water, lying tight on the floor will not freeze, even when the inside of the motorhome is warm. Sometimes for this purpose apply special electric heating mats. It is better that the tanks lay at a distance from the floor (double floor);
- Due to the large area of single-layer glazing, the cabin has practically no insulation. You can close the passage to the cabin with a heat insulating curtain or wrap the entire cabin with thermal insulation outside. Also, additional curtains on the front and side windows of the cabin will not be superfluous;
- If you drown with gas, you must consider the quality of Russian gas. In Russia, bottled gas is a mixture of carbonaceous gases, propane and butane. The evaporation temperature of propane is -40 ° C, the evaporation temperature of butane is 0 ° C. Summer mix - 50/50, winter mix - 90/10. In Russia, it is not uncommon to refuel in the summer with a summer mixture or with a non-high-quality mixture, which can lead to freezing of the cylinder and non-evaporation of gas. By this you need to be always ready, to refuel only at proven gas stations or to use electric heated cylinders;
- For long-term parking, you must close the clearance of the motorhome around the perimeter. This will save heat;
- It must be remembered that after turning off the heating you need to drain the water from all drives. For the forgetful, Truma came up with the FrostControl automatic water drain valve. The valve works without electricity using a bimetallic plate. The valve itself opens the drain when the temperature drops to 3 ° C.